Having a great website is crucial to any business’s digital marketing plan, but having a well developed website goes beyond just good design. This holds true especially in the telecom, IT and cloud services industries, where the competition online is nothing short of fierce.
Every day, millions of people search the Internet for a product or service that fits their needs – and your prospective customers are no exception. In order to deliver the best results, search engines like Google and Bing rely on complex algorithms that read website data and assess how relevant each website is to a user. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the tweaking of certain website details to take advantage of these complex algorithms and better position your website. A well-optimized, user-friendly site helps keep search engines satisfied. In return, they’ll suggest your site to the right users.
Where your website ranks in search engines can be the difference that turns a prospect researching online into a loyal customer. Google takes into account many factors when ranking websites. To make sure your website ranks as high as possible, be sure to avoid these common SEO mistakes:
- A slow website: Users easily lose patience with a slow site, and will quickly abandon it if they are stuck on a loading page for too long. If users are constantly leaving your site because pages aren’t loading, Google takes this into account and will penalize you for it.
- “Keyword Cannibalization”: This occurs when two different pages on your site are competing for the same keyword. This can harm your search results because Google decides which page to rank or, even worse, may not choose either page at all.
- Using the same keyword-rich anchor text for more than one page: Having too many inbound links to a page that have the same keyword-rich anchor text can cause Google to get confused and decrease your search rankings. Try to be as clear as possible to show exactly what each page on your site is about.
- Broken outbound links: Having links that don’t lead anywhere or display an error page can quickly rob one’s site of authority. Instead, when a website links users to high quality resources, this helps to build trust and ensure a user-friendly site. Get rid of any broken links on your site, including any that may be hiding in the “comments” section.
- Duplicate content: One of the quickest ways to decrease search ranking is to use duplicate content on a site. This is a big factor that Google takes into consideration, so even if different pages on your site mention the same topic, be sure and keep all the content unique.
In a world where prospects do most of their own research online, SEO is a key component to help you stay ahead of your competitors in search ranking and in sales. If you need help optimizing your current site or building an SEO strategy, contact Mojo to chat!