Lead generation has evolved in recent years because of the amount of information that is now available online. This abundance of information has spawned the “self-directed buyer,” who does most of his or her research online before buying (or even speaking to a salesperson). With the change in how people buy products and services, lead generation strategies have changed as well.
One main goal of almost all telecom and IT companies is to get more leads, but the idea of generating them can be daunting. It can be hard to know where to start, as any strategy that you choose must be:
- Support other marketing initiatives
Some of these strategies may not be feasible for all companies, but knowing what they are is a good place to begin.
Below are four lead generation strategies that have proven to get results:
- Offer an e-book download. An e-book is a free resource that dives deep into a topic of interest for a prospect. It can be downloaded directly from a website. It should offer something of value to readers and help answer questions they may have about the topic. Unlike blog posts, e-books go into great detail, and are rich sources of information. And of course, when readers download the e-book they are captured as leads and are now a part of the sales funnel.
- Host a webinar. If you can provide training and real expertise to viewers, then hosting a webinar may be the right lead generation choice for you. The key component to a webinar is that you are offering something of real value to the viewer; no one is going to take 30-45 minutes of her day to listen to someone talk about his company or hear a sales pitch. Give expert advice on industry news, insight into recent technology news (the Amazon AWS outage, for example), or something of interest to the viewer such as an offer.
A great webinar has these key components:
- A knowledgeable speaker
- A topic relevant to your target audience
- A recording that people can refer back to
- A survey to get feedback
Mojo hosted our own webinar series and saw great results. Curious about what we discussed? Check out the slides here.
- Offer a downloadable white paper. White papers are another way to educate prospects down the sales funnel. Similar to the e-book strategy, white papers go even deeper into a topic. White papers can be a great resource for a sales team, as they create an offering demonstrating thought leadership that can be shared with prospects.
- Create customer case studies. Case studies are essentially storytelling. They showcase how your company’s services solved a critical problem and contributed to another company’s success. This builds trust and helps demonstrate authority.
Depending on the company, one of the strategies mentioned above may work better than others. A good starting point is to determine your company’s area of expertise and educate your prospects via the medium they use the most. And before beginning any lead generation strategy, don’t forget to set benchmarks to measure success. Leads are typically tracked through conversions, but can also be measured by web traffic and lead quality.
Wondering what lead generation strategy is the best fit for your company? Contact us to talk about your goals and craft a campaign that drives results!